ESR Vintage Vehicle & Steam Gala
5637 recently out of overhaul
Credit: Lee Thorp, 5 June 2010
The East Somerset Railway?s ?Vintage Vehicle and Steam? gala takes place over the weekend of the 25 and 26 June 2011. Locomotives in traffic will be ex GWR 56xx nr 5637 (based in South Wales throughout her working life and subsequently the 61st engine to leave Barry), Nr 47 Moorbarrow and resident Barclay 0-4-0ST nr 1719 ?Lady Nan?. Services will be a mix of freight and passenger services.
In addition look out for static displays of motor cars, motorcycles, buses and vans from earlier in the 20th Century.
***NEW FOR 2011***
Work has recently been completed on the cosmetic overhaul of ex London, Brighton & South Coast Railway E1 Class 0-6-0T nr 110, undertaken by ESR volunteers. There will be plenty of opportunities to capture this unique locomotive in a series of photo opportunities around the site. There will also be information to find out how you can help this historic locomotive, out of traffic since 1997, steam again.
The E1 will be available at:-
- Cranmore Depot until 09:30
- Cranmore Station / Sidings (various times during the morning)
- Merryfield Lane Station (subject to final confirmation) at 13:25 [Photographers wishing to view the E1 should travel on the 12:30 Service from Cranmore and alight at Merryfield Lane on the return journey]
- Cranmore Station Loop between 13:45 and 14:30 (with 5637)
- Cranmore Depot after 15:00
In addition to our timetabled services, a demonstration ?Engineer?s Train? will run between Cranmore and Cranmore West at 10:35, 13:15 and 14:35. The 10:35 and 13:15 services will be hauled by heritage diesel and the 14:35 service will be hauled by 1719 ?Lady Nan? and terminate at Cranmore Depot. We regret that it will not be possible for passengers to travel on this service.
Trains depart at regular intervals, both days, between 10:00 and 16:30, as follows:-
- 10:00 - Passenger hauled by 5637
- 11:00 - Passenger hauled by 47 and 5637. This train is double headed in the ?down? direction and single headed by 47 in the ?up? direction.
- 11:40 - Freight service hauled by 47 departing from Cranmore Station and picking up Passengers at Cranmore West. This train is single headed in the ?down? direction by 47 and double headed in the ?up? direction by 5637 and 47
- 12:30 - Passenger hauled by 5637
- 14:00 - Passenger hauled 47
- 15:00 - Passenger hauled by 5637
- 15:45 - Freight service hauled by both 5637 and 47 departing from Cranmore Depot and picking up Passengers at Cranmore West. This train is double headed in the ?down? direction by 47 and in the ?up? direction hauled by 47 and banked by 5637
- 16:30 - Passenger hauled by both 47
?Lady Nan? will be carrying out shunting demonstrations at Cranmore Depot and we will be offering Driver for a Fiver where you can realise a dream and drive a steam engine at Cranmore Depot. This will take place when ?Lady Nan? is not involved in shunting demonstrations, please ask a member of staff on the day for more information. All money raised helps goes towards restoration and maintenance of our fleet of steam engines, diesels, carriages and wagons.
We will also be repeating our popular ?Freight Train Experience?, giving the opportunity to allow passengers to travel the full length of the line in the Guard?s Brake Van of some of our freight trains. This offers a not to be missed experience and a view of the line and that you simply don`t get from the coaches! These will run at 11:40 and 15:45 and Passengers must board and alight at Cranmore West Station platform. Please note that space is limited and on a first come ? first served basis.
Lineside Passes are available from Cranmore Station for ?5.00 but must be accompanied by a valid ticket to travel. Lineside Pass Holders will require a short briefing and must wear a High Viz jacket of a type approved for Railway use.
For pictures from our previous galas, please visit our photo gallery by clicking here.
Tickets are available ? either book in advance online or on the day.
Please note, while the ESR will make every effort to try and maintain the above timetable, locomotive roster and attractions, all are subject to availability
News item added on 21st June 2011, by GM
If you wish to receive ESR News via email, click here and enter your email address