Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST no.1719 'Lady Nan'
Lady Nan in the yard at Cranmore
Credit: R.Cooke, 21/05/2000
|Company: Andrew Barclay|
|Built by: Andrew Barclay Sons & Co.Ltd., Caledonia Works, Kilmarnock|
|Status: Awaiting overhaul|
No. 1719 "Lady Nan" was built by Andrew Barclay & Sons Co.Ltd. in 1920. It was delivered to J. and R. Howie Ltd., Hurlford Fireclay Works, near Kilmarnock on 23rd December 1920 and was known as 'Hurlford Fireclay Works No. 2'. The locomotive worked there until it was sold in April 1959 to Glenfield & Kennedy ltd. of Kilmarnock. There it was repaired using parts from a 1903 Barclay locomotive and named 'Glenfield No. 2'.
By early 1966 rail traffic at Glenfield had diminished and the locomotive was offered for sale, but was not sold until march 1972 when a local scrap merchant effected the purchase. later that month, the locomotive was resold to Mr. R.P.Weisham just before scrapping was to commence. The locomotive was moved for storage purposes to the National Coal Board at Backworth, Northumberland on 14th April 1972. On the 6th May 1973, the loco was moved to Radstock for a further period of storage, until 5th November 1975 when the loco was moved to Cranmore.
'Glenfield No.2' entered Cranmore Works during 1978 and was the subject of a complete general overhaul. Being completed and fitted with vacuum brake gear, 'Glenfield' emerged in 1985 in blue livery and was renamed 'Lady Nan'.
For the last few years, 'Lady Nan' has been on hire to the National Railway Museum at York, but it retured to Cranmore during 2000.
In March 2005, an overhaul of 1719 was started and within a few days, the engine was reduced to a kit of parts. It is hoped to have the engine back in service before the end of the year.